Saturday, May 18, 2013

Goals and my lack there of

As I sit here stuffing my face with pizza, I am thinking of my goals. I have lots of goals. Tons of them floating in my head. I have the life I want pictured in my head, a happy life for myself and my boys. I know exactly what I want. My problem is, I have practically no discipline and no motivation. Which after I write about it, sounds pretty dang pathetic. The thing is, I've hit the monumental moment where I knew that the only person who could change my life was me. I hit that along time ago. But even now, as I say those words, it hits my heart as if it were a surprise yet I know it's true. No matter how much I wish some sort of miracle would happen, I know I'm the only one who can ever change my life. Ever. There is no magical button to push. There is no magical potion to drink. Change takes work. Hard work. Sometimes ridiculous amounts of hard work. And guess what? Results don't come right away. They take a LONG time. That's the part I don't like. I want what I want when I want it, not when I'm ready or capable to receive it. I obviously need to adjust my thinking slightly.
But the experts all say the same thing....if you want something to change, then change it. Work your butt off to achieve your goal because if it is just handed to you on a silver platter, you probably won't appreciate it as much as if you worked hard to achieve it. At a recent "vision meeting" we had at work, we discussed how we needed to make it a goal to be the best. The greatest. Not to try, but to do. Do everything it takes to be the best at something. And I know that is true. I do. So I guess it's time to do a little changing. So I'm going to share what I want out of life. I have made several goals in my life and most of what I'm writing will be repeats because quite frankly, I have had the same or close to the same goals for quite a long time. So in no particular order:

Goal one: Get back to a healthy weight so I can live longer and be around for my children's children.
Goal two: Love myself.
Goal three: Be a better, more involved mother. 
Goal four: Be the best in my field of work, the very best.
Goal five: Save up a 3 month reserve of money for emergencies
Goal six: Save up 5% down on a home (I'm figuring on a $125,000 to $150,000 home)
Goal seven: Stick to my budget, including allowances for the kids and enrollments for extra activities
Goal eight: Pay off all of my debt, including those on my credit that really need to be paid off
Goal nine: Make sure my kids always know that they are smart, kind, amazing and loved.
Goal ten: Always find a way to serve others and teach my children to do the same.
Goal eleven: Own my own home.
Goal twelve: Take my kids on some sort of a vacation every single year.
Goal thirteen: Make sleep a priority. I currently get around 4-5 hrs a night. Probably not good.
Goal fourteen: Make exercise a priority for the whole family.

Now these are all (for the most part) going to take a whole lot of time to accomplish. They are going to take some serious, long term changes in my life. And I am fully aware I cannot work on them all at the same time, because that will never work. I also know that the goals are intertwined. As I accomplish one, another will come closer to being accomplished. So for now, I start slowly.

In order for me to accomplish these goals I need to start from the beginning. I need to take care of myself so I can take care of others. So losing weight is a priority, as will loving myself. I am also going to stick to my budget, because that will help me to accomplish my financial goals. And probably the very most important goals of all revolve around my kids. I will be working on those goals as well right now. The rest will come later as I accomplish my base goals.

A few of these goals are my behemoth goals. The goals that are definitely going to take some time for me to accomplish. Being the best of the best in my field is going to be a work in progress, and will take years to accomplish. But that doesn't mean I am not going to work my butt off to do so.
The financial goals are mini behemoth goals. It may take few years to accomplish them. But I'm going to try my freaking hardest to do so.

So anyway, enough ranting. I get paid Monday, so it's time to create my budget for this paycheck. Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment