Wednesday, January 9, 2013

My kids are getting big/I'm getting old

We have been working hard at spending more time as a family. Less TV/Internet/whatever and more actual family time. I'm happy to report that (almost) every meal has been eaten at the table and we have really done well with keeping the TV off. I still need to work on my texting habit though....thats going to be a tough one to break. But my boys remind me constantly that I need to quit.
However.....as we have done this I have noticed a few things about each kid.

Nate- is getting bigger. And older. His feet are officially bigger than mine are (in Mens sizes) and he is nearly as tall. I think I mentioned at one point a long time ago that the kid has grown toe hairs. Toe hairs! And tonight he was checking out a girl. I am so not ready for him to grow up but he is right before my eyes. And the puberty/birds and bees talk? Oy....I think it's going to have to come soon. If he received his mother's genes he will be blooming soon and with the toe hair, I'd dare say thats a safe assumption. However....I am not ready for that. I don't even know what boys go through during puberty. I guess it's time to start Googling.  I'd hate for the kid not to know what to expect. He is also in Annie. He's a pickpocket and a newsboy. And...is super excited. The play is going to be happening in a few weeks and this week has been busy busy with rehearsals, we have them just about every night.

Tyler- has split personalities I think. Or he is just a tad on the emotional side right now. I figure that anyway and can't blame him. He's working on getting his emotions in check though he has said, so I hope that's true. He is antsy to get his surgery done. I think that is some of the stress. But oh he is a funny kid. He has the best laugh. We have had a fun time spending the evenings together while Nate is at his play practice. He is also getting to be a beautiful writer. His handwriting is superb. I'm very impressed. We are also going to start karate soon. I think it's going to help him grow some confidence that is much needed. I'm excited to see him learn and grow from that. He's such a good kid. 

Ryder- is driving me crazy. I was watching him and another 5 yr old and realized he is a little behind in his development. I don't know quite what to do to help him with this. The other two boys were such easy kids to raise, not to mention they had fantastic teachers (thank you Valena and our daycare folks for making my job easy) but Ry is not picking up like they did. So, I'm swallowing my guilt for not seeing it sooner and am trying to get him caught up. He is also into throwing tantrums if he doesn't get his way, which is really annoying. And trying to unlearn that behavior is going rough, but I think it will be worth it. Just have to keep at it. I just wish I would've paid more attention earlier. Then we could've addressed the issues earlier and maybe gotten it handled sooner. I don't know, I guess I'm having one of those epic fail moments. But the plus side, he has the most amazing little spirit and is so fun to be around when he's not being silly, it is all worth it in the end.

So that is whats going on with us. The boy's are getting big, I'm feeling like an old lady and we are all a big, happy family. Rock on, right? I love my little family. And I'm happy I've started to focus more on them and less on the outside world. They deserve to have my full attention in the little time we spend together. I'm excited to see the changes we will make as a family through spending more time together.  

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if they do it down there, but here in 4th grade they do a little class close to the end of the year about growing up, etc. Katie did it last year, and that started her asking the questions, which is much nicer than starting the awkward conversation. Plus, once she started asking questions, it has been easier to just bring up the subject more casually at other times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. South has their program the start of 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good to know. I want all my boys to know they can come talk to me about anything...but man some of those subjects are awkward. Maybe I should go to the class with him so I can learn what happens too :)

    ReplyDelete