Sunday, February 19, 2012

Thoughtful Sunday

During our lesson in church today, the questions asked were "Wow do we make sure our kids are prepared for the world they are growing up in? How are we going to make sure they know the difference between right and wrong...and how to stand up for their beliefs?"
And...I didn't have an answer. How do you make sure your kids know who they are, and have confidence to stand for what they believe in, whatever it may be? I feel like I'm working hard to make sure my boys know right from wrong, but how can I teach them to be confident in their beliefs when I can't even do that myself?
It really got me thinking about what I have done/would do if my beliefs came into question. Would I have the strength to stand up for what I believe in? In the past I didn't. And I think that was because I wasn't sure what my beliefs were. I still struggle with knowing, without a doubt, what is true and what is not. There are some things that I am very concrete in.

-I believe in the power of prayer. My prayers have been answered numerous times and there is no way that I can deny that I've been blessed.
-I truly believe that the person I am meant to be with is going to be strong in the church. And I know, without a doubt, that he won't come into my life until I am ready for him.
-I believe in serving others. My life has been blessed tenfold when I have given of myself unselfishly. I need to do so more often.
-And lastly, I truly believe that He is there for us when we need him. I cannot express how many times miracles have happened in my life in the last couple years. He has comforted me in my darkest sorrow, he has celebrated in my success. He has guided me through my struggles and I know without a doubt that the peace I have felt during hard times comes directly from him.

There are soo many things that I'm not entirely sure what my standpoint is however. I hope that as I study the scriptures and learn from my experiences, I will come to understand better what my true beliefs are and be concrete in them. I really feel I'm getting there, I just need to put a little more effort into understanding and having faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment