Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering


source: google images
 As soo many people do, I remember where I was when the tragic events of 9/11 happened. I was in science class and remember being really irritated that my teacher wouldn't turn on the news and let us watch. In fact, not many of my teachers let us at all throughout the day. I don't know if it was because they were trying to protect us, or just didn't want their plans interrupted. So that day, I didn't get the gravity of the situation. I saw all the pictures, read the papers, watched the news, saw the horrific images and such for weeks afterwards...but really just didn't get the gravity of the situation. I knew it was sad and I knew it was horrible, but it didn't have a profound effect on me. Maybe because I was soo young to truly understand? I don't know.

Yesterday I realized the gravity. My heart ached for those people who lost husbands and wives, daddies and mommas, sons and daughters, siblings, aunts and uncles, cousins....their loved ones. It made my heart ache for the heroes who had to witness the death and destruction that was caused that day and risked their own lives to try and save others, or find those lost among the rubble. Many now have scars both on the outside and deep within from that day which will never go away. I'm not a highly emotional person by any means, but I definitely couldn't stop myself from tearing up a little remembering the pain and suffering that one event caused for our entire nation.

My only gripe for the day is certain pictures. They are all painful to see, however the images I have the hardest time with are those of people falling out of the buildings. I cannot look at those. I wish that whomever was the editors of those papers, magazines, etc would've taken into account that those are PEOPLE, not just some object to make money. Those people were in their final moments of life and were shown no reverence whatsoever. I know they defended themselves by saying they felt America needed to see them to really understand, however it wasn't their daddy or husband or son that was now plastered everywhere falling to his death. As one said last night, he felt showing one picture in particular of a single man falling really "encompassed how America was feeling after the tragic events." I'm pretty sure that ALL of the pictures and videos taken at that time encompassed how America was feeling. Makes me sad for the families that had to see their loved ones' last moments of life like that.  

However, life does go on. We are rebuilding as a nation, and the tragic events of 9/11 briefly brought this country together and made us all remember what is most important to us. It made me want to forget my stupid, petty issues and realize just how lucky I have it. I am very blessed and tend to forget that alot. So my heart goes out to those who were lost that day, the families and friends of those who were lost and the heroes that risked everything that day. It truly was a day that changed history that I know I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment